Foreign Exchange Student Spotlight-Jodie

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cortney Sprecher

Do you ever wonder what it would feel like if you were on a plane, and not knowing what to expect when you had reached your destination, but you are excited to learn new things. This is what it is like for a foreign exchange student. We have three foreign exchange student in our school we have Robert from Germany which I wrote about in the September paper, we have Roman from Spain and Jodi from France which whom I am going to talk to you about. I had asked Jodi a few questions about how it is here and how it is in France. One thing she said was the education was different in both places. In France, they have a break and there is a balance diet. We have more homework and we do not have sports teams. For the sport time it is in a club, not in school, and on the weekends, and the teachers are not nice in France. She has been involved in a sport, which has been different to her, but she enjoys it. One other difference she notices was the food and wondered if she had some favorites, In America she likes hotdogs and In France her favorite is Lasagna. I also wondered why she wanted to come to America, she wanted to come to America to improve her English also the culture has always attracted her. She also loves living with her host family I had asked her, was what advice you would you give living in a host family? Why do you want to live with a host family? What can you do for your host family that show you respect them? In addition, what would you like to do with your host family? She wanted to live with host family because it is a warmer feeling, than an internship, and it compensates for the lack of family. She likes living with her host family but does not have specific activities. They are always busy so there is nothing that she does not get to do. Although she is not very good at speaking the English terms, her favorite term is “yep” she likes learning new stuff and that is important by living with a host family. She also loves going to school, her favorite subject in school in Algebra. Along with coming to America, she loves living back home. I had asked her few questions that are random to get a little background on her. What do you do in your spare time? She likes to dance, watch movies, and share laughs with her family. One last thing I asked her was If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you want to go? She said she would like to travel everywhere in the world because I love discovering new styled of life and new things. I hope you people enjoyed little background on Jodi and what it is like back in her home.